| || |
I am a huge fan of casseroles. Most are relatively easy, you can pretty much put whatever you want into them, and since I'm usually cooking for just me, the leftovers can be lunch for most of the week. Negates that excuse of there being nothing good on hand to eat.
I made this casserole the other night, loosely based on a recipe I found on Pinterest, though I made a lot of modifications. It's definitely a keeper for me!
What you'll need:
1 lb. Italian sausage (mild)
1 - 3 oz. can of sliced black olives
1/2 cup Feta cheese (crumbled)
4 large eggs
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Servings: 9 slices
Nutrition info.: per slice: 22.5 g of fat (9.2 g saturated fat), 287 calories, 3.3 g of carbohydrates, 18.1 g of protein, 1 g of fiber
- Heat oven to 360 degrees F.
- Brown the sausage and drain if necessary. Spread sausage on the bottom of a greased 11 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the spinach, olives and feta cheese over the sausage.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, light cream, salt and pepper. Pour over the contents of the casserole dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and place on top of the dish.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the entire top of the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes and allow to cool before slicing and serving.