This frittata recipe originally came from a book I read by Kristen Ashley. Her recipe (for Feb's Frittata) can be found here. I made a bunch of changes to fit my tastes/ what I usually have on hand, and decided to share. This recipe makes for a great breakfast, lunch or dinner dish. And for low carb dieters, there are only about 3 g of carbs per serving.
8 oz. of sliced mushrooms (portobella or white)
5 slices of bacon, thick cut
1/4 cup of chopped garlic, shallots and onions* (or 2 tbsp. each)
4 large eggs
2 tbsp. light cream
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 sliced scallions
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Cast iron skillet (or any skillet/ pan that can be put in a broiler)
*I buy a mix of these 3 pre-chopped at Trader Joe's.
For the bacon, I prefer to use an applewood smoked bacon because the flavor blends well with mushrooms and cheddar. I also like to use thick cut slices, and I would add a piece or two extra if you are using a thinner cut. Trader Joe's nitrate free applewood bacon is a favorite of mine.
The cheddar cheese is another ingredient I like to experiment with. Since I usually shred my own cheese, I'll usually either use an applewood smoked cheddar or a mix of cheddar and gruyere. You can really feel free to use whatever cheese variety you like best (or you can stick to bagged cheddar, especially if you want quicker prep time).
This recipe is done in one pan, as you'll saute the onions, shallots, garlic and mushrooms first and then add everything else on top. It's super delicious, and is always a crowd pleaser.
Here are the directions and nutrition information:
- Turn on oven broiler.
- Cook the bacon (microwave is fine) and let cool. When cool enough (about 10 minutes), crumble or chop and set aside.
- In the skillet, add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, heat, and add the mushrooms to saute. After a few minutes (when the mushrooms begin to reduce in size) add the garlic, shallot and onion mixture to the pan and continue to saute until the mushrooms are cooked. Spread the mushrooms over the bottom of the pan and remove from heat.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, scallions, salt and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms in the skillet and return the skillet to medium-high heat. Heat until the egg mixture seems mostly cooked. If there is still liquid in the middle, place the skillet into the broiler and allow the rest of the egg to cook.
- Sprinkle on the bacon pieces and cover with the shredded cheese.
- Broil the frittata until the cheese has melted and has a golden brown color.
- Remove from broiler, allow to cool, and loosen edges with silicone spatula before slicing.
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Servings: 8 slices
Nutrition info.: per slice: 11.9 g of fat (5 g saturated fat), 147 calories, 3.1 g of carbohydrates, 7.9 g of protein, 0.5 g of fiber
Be sure to post a comment if you try this recipe, let me know what you think, and share on Pinterest!